How to update a forked repo on Github and Bitbucket
How to update a forked repo on Bitbucket
Bitbucket just needs one single click to update from the base repository. When you will go to the forked repo, you will see a notification like below
You just need to click on Sync now and you are done. It’s that much easy.
How to update a forked repo on Github
I am still a noob if you take me as a developer. However, I believe that most of the developers will agree with me that github.com is less user-friendly compared to bitbucket. You already have seen the banner on top of your forked repo that “This branch is n commits behind”
You already have seen the banner on top of your forked repo that “This branch is n commits behind”
Here are the steps to solve that-
- Click on New pull request
- The next page will tell you that “There isn’t anything to compare”. Don’t worry!
- Click on switching the base and see the magic ?
- Click Create pull request. A form will be shown to write some details. You can write my name there ?
Seriously! But for gentlemen, it is right to write sync, update etc to appear decent ?
- Click on Create pull request and scroll to the bottom of the page.
- If there is no conflict, you will see a button named Merge pull request. Click on the button and you’re done.
Pat yourself on the back ?